making sh!t for your girlfriend since 2007

.....................................

soon come

Craft Mart ~ Nov 8 (6pm - 11pm) & Nov 9 (11am - 7pm) ~ Hamilton Artists Inc. ~ 155 James Street North, Hamilton
Halifax Crafters Society Winter Market ~ Nov 30 & Dec 1 ~ Olympic Community Centre ~2304 Hunter Street, Halifax
City of Craft ~ Dec 14 & 15 ~ The Theatre Centre ~ 1087 & 1095 Queen Street West, Toronto

Friday, September 5, 2008

A new leaf, or something.

Even though I’ve been out of school for four years now, September always feels like the start of something new. Perhaps it’s the fallout of being such a keener in my school days, or maybe it’s just the better Fall clothes, but this is when I feel I can do everything, and usually, I do. Unfortunately it doesn’t last long. By about November, I’m ready to crawl into a log and turn into moss. But this year I have a log alternative. To curb the wackness between late Fall and April (does it last that long for you, too?) I have a new, year-long project in mind. You see, part of the problem is that I think a lot about making things but rarely get around to actually making them. I get the supplies, I draw up the blueprints, and then it starts to fizzle out. I also don’t finish a lot of things (like, for instance, the Japanese Noro and sari silk scarf that’s been waiting to be cast-off for the last two and a half years). And there’s all those things I’ve been meaning to do since forever: make a sock monkey (been hanging on to a pair of work socks for a couple years now), take up watercolour (bought a Moleskine Watercolour notebook, paints, and a brush over a month ago), learn to sew (got a serger for Christmas, and inherited a kick-ass vintage Singer in the Spring). I need to do these things. I need to finish the projects exiled in my closet. I need to use up the thousands of dollars worth of supplies I’ve accumulated in my relatively short lifetime. So, over the Labour Day weekend, I developed the 52-Week Makin’ it Happen Challenge. I will devote every week this year to a specific craft or project. Each week, I will learn or try something new, complete a long-overdue project, make someone a present, or simply create one of the things I’ve dreamt about over the past year. Each project, no matter how crappy it turns out, will be posted. If all goes according to plan, by Labour Day 2009 I will have made 52 of my DIY dreams come true. With a loaded glue gun at the side of my hip, the year of living craftastically begins now.

No comments: